The CDC Foundation helps the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) save and improve lives by unleashing the power of collaboration between CDC, philanthropies, corporations, organizations, and individuals to protect the health, safety and security of America and the world. The CDC Foundation is the go-to nonprofit authorized by Congress to mobilize philanthropic partners and private-sector resources to support CDC’s critical health protection mission. Since 1995, the CDC Foundation has raised over $1 billion and launched more than 1,000 programs impacting a variety of health threats from chronic disease conditions including cardiovascular disease and cancer, to infectious diseases like rotavirus and HIV, to emergency responses, including COVID-19 and Ebola. The CDC Foundation managed hundreds of CDC-led programs in the United States and in more than 140 countries last year. Learn more at www.cdcfoundation.org.
The CDC Foundation is working with the Freely Associated States, including the Republic of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands, to provide surge staffing that are crucial to the nation’s COVID-19 response. We are seeking independent consultants to fulfill the duties of a Senior Epidemiologist for the Federated States of Micronesia. This position will lead and coordinate work efforts across teams.Under general supervision, plans, develops, and conducts epidemiologic investigations, surveillance, and interventions limited in scope and/or complexity to determine the causes of diseases and implement methods of disease control. Collects, analyzes, and interprets statistical data and prepares epidemiologic reports. This position works to promote and protect the health and safety.
This position is open exclusively to independent consultants. Compensation is limited to an hourly wage with a limit of 40 hours/week. Benefits are not included and payroll taxes will not be withheld. Additionally, consultants will need to use their own supplies and equipment, be willing to work with jurisdictions in distant timezones, and will not be provided a CDC Foundation email address. While the positions are requested at 40 hours/week, we will also consider applicants who are available to work on a part-time basis.
These positions are remote-based opportunities and qualified applicants will be considered from all locations. #LI-RemoteResponsibilities
- Performs advanced level work and may direct small teams of epidemiologists, program managers, data analysts, physicians and other health professionals to design, implement and evaluate disease prevention, investigation, surveillance and control strategies
- Serve as a technical expert for COVID-19 response
- Plans and provides consultation to implement new or innovative COVID-19 disease surveillance, prevention, and control as it relates to vaccines or other response work
- Oversees and directs the presentation of data and information along with the processing and analyzing of collected data in order to determine changes in trends and probable causes of epidemiologic problems
- Characterizes results from collected data and makes recommendations for the implementation of control or prevention measures
- Oversees team to perform formal epidemiologic, case control and cohort studies of complex health issues.
- Provides training, technical assistance, and consultative services to departmental staff and others regarding epidemiology and the control of diseases.
- Serves as a point of contact for various personnel regarding advanced, highly complex epidemiologic or public health issues.
- Collaborates on the development ofpolicies and procedures for new and existing disease control programs.
- Reviews technical and non-technical summaries of work, scientific reports and manuscripts as prepared by the jurisdiction.
- Work with health department leadership to develop strategies to improve the pipeline of the public health workforce, including training and outreach efforts.
- A Doctorate (PhD) or Medical (MD) degree from a regionally accredited college or university in epidemiology, public health, veterinary medicine, preventive medicine, medicine, biological, physical, behavioral or environmental sciences
- Preferred coursework includes at least two courses in epidemiology covering additional epidemiology principles, methods and design concepts or at least two courses in statistical design and methods courses for the behavioral sciences, or at least two publications in two different peer-reviewed journals, and at least one course in biostatistics or other research-oriented statistics course.
- Required: MPH or completion of a public health professional training program, e.g., the Epidemic Intelligence Service Program.
- At least ten (10) years of relevant work experience performing epidemiologic or public health work
- Strong preference for candidates with at least 5 years experience in international settings
- Experience in planning, developing, and evaluating public health programs.
- Experience in planning, developing and implementing public health training programs.
- Possess strong data management and analysis skills.
- Experience with data visualization (e.g., Tableau) is preferred.
- Experience working collaboratively with diverse stakeholders and engaging in strategic partnerships.
- Organizational skills demonstrating high attention to detail and the ability to organize multiple priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills required for teamwork and interaction with people across CDC and with external partners.
- Proficiency in writing comprehensive statistical and analytical reports.
- Excellent written and oral communications.
- Ability to remain calm under intense stress and a fast-paced environment.
Notice to Applicants:The CDC Foundation requires all employees to be fully vaccinated* for COVID-19 as a condition of employment effectiveNovember 22, 2021. All offers of employment after that date are contingent upon proof of full-vaccination status as a part of thepre-employment process.*Fullyvaccinated is defined as follows: At least two weeks have passed since receipt of the Johnson amp; Johnson single-dose vaccine, or the second dose of the either the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech two-dose vaccines.
- Hourly Range: $85/hour
- Position End Date: 07/31/2022
- Position Type: Independent Contractor / 1099
- Remote/Hybrid/Onsite: Remote
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status, and all other characteristics protected by law.
We comply with all applicable laws including E.O. 11246 and the Vietnam Era Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 governing employment practices and do not discriminate on the basis of any unlawful criteria in accordance with 41 C.F.R. 60-300.5(a)(12) and 60-741.5(a)(7). As a federal government contractor, we take affirmative action on behalf of protected veterans.
The CDC Foundation is a smoke-free environment. Relocation expenses are not included.